How To Enjoy A Good Night’s Sleep
Top 10 Tips:
We spend a third of our lives sleeping, yet within our lifetimes most people will experience problems with sleeping at some stage. So if you want a good night’s sleep, here are our 10 top tips to getting more sleep and waking up refreshed.
- Make sure you have the correct pillow and duvet to provide support and comfort. Natural and synthetic options exist to offer exceptionally light, soft and breathable solutions which are practical and long lasting. To find out how to choose the perfect pillow and duvet, why not read our buying guide and see if you can enjoy the good nights sleep you’ve always dreamed about.
- Create a sleep routine by going to bed, and getting up at similar times each day. Our Lumie Bodyclocks can help to achieve the perfect sleep routine.
- Food and medicine can alter the balance of chemicals in your body, which can impact upon how wakeful or drowsy you feel. Avoid caffeine in the hours before bed, and ideally only drink caffeinated drinks in the morning. Also avoid alcohol and cigarettes and try vitamin supplements and herbal teas instead. You should also increase your water intake – generally recommended minimum of 2 litres per day.
- If you have a large meal in the evening, allow plenty of time for your digestive process to start, allowing several hours after eating before you go to bed.
- Your physical surroundings can have a profound impact upon your sleep. To enhance your sleep you should create an ambience which will help you to relax and prepare your mind and body for the night. Use your bed for sleeping, and not for watching television or reading, particularly if the reading material is overtly stimulating. Lumie Bodyclocks can help prepare your body and mind for sleep.
- Get into a routine or bed time habit. A simple routine will subconsciously help your body to prepare for sleep. Take a warm bath, lower the lights before bedtime and allow adequate time to relax before bed. Leave any symbols of worry out of the bedroom.
- Temperature in your bedroom is important. Not too cold, nor too warm and if in doubt, go for cooler rather than warmer. Our temperature regulating wool duvets can help to keep you at the optimum temperature throughout the night.
- Do exercise, but not right before bedtime. Exercise can have a stimulating effect which can prevent you falling asleep, so leave two or three hours between your work out and going to bed. Psychology has shown that mental exercise can help to clear the mind of any fears or anxieties, so practice deep breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation.
- If you can’t fall asleep, or do wake in the night and don’t drop off to sleep again straight away, try not to worry about it. There are few things that will prevent you sleeping more, than anxiety about not getting enough sleep. If you can’t get right back to sleep, then after about half an hour, get out of bed and do something non stimulating and boring in a low light until you feel sleepy again.
- If sleep problems persist you may consider lifestyle changes. Change your working hours or manage your time more effectively. Be realistic about deadlines and get help or delegate tasks if possible. Create time for yourself to relax after work each day and unwind before sleep.